1. Peles Castle
Its construction started in 1873 near Sinaia, a mountain resort in the beautiful Carpathian mountains of Prahova County. Its external Neo-Renaissance elements gracefully blend with Gothic ones, similar to Neuschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, while the interior has mostly Baroque influences, with heavy carved woods and luxurious fabrics.
2. Bran Castle
It is probably one of the most famous Romanian castles because of its association with Dracula (a character inspired by a 15th-century Romanian general and Wallachian Prince Vlad Tepes). It was first mentioned on 19th of November 1377 in an act issued by Louis I of Hungary, who was king of Hungary, Croatia and Poland back in the second half of the 14th century. It is a strategic fortress, built on the border than separates Transylvania from Wallachia, and it was important in the defence against the Ottoman Empire.
3. Corvin Castle (or Hunyadi Castle)
It was built in 1446 and it has both Gothic and Renaissance architectural elements. Vlad Tepes (Vlad the Impaler) was held prisoner here for 7 years by John Hunyadi, son of Voyk Hunyadi. Legend has it that the 30 meters deep well found in the castle yard was dug by twelve Turkish prisoners who were told they will be freed if they reached water, but after 15 years of digging the promise wasn’t honored, and the prisoners left an inscription on a wall that says “you have water, but not a soul”.
4. Bánffy Castle
It is a Baroque monument in Bontida, Cluj County, and its construction started in 1437 at the order of the Bánffy family. It is located in the vicinity of Cluj-Napoca, a city founded in 1213 in Transylvania. The castle is currently being restored by the Transylvania Trust, with funds from the EU, Romanian Ministry of Culture and various organizations. It hosts the annual Electric Castle music festival, an event that attracts thousands of people.
5. Cantacuzino Castle
This is a more recent Neo-Romanian castle located in Prahova County, its construction having been completed in 1911 at the request of the Cantacuzino family, who was disowned in 1948, when the Communists took over, but it was returned to the Cantacuzino descendants in 1989 after the fall of the regime.